Wednesday, October 13, 2021

 
Unfinished Business

I created a blog for eleven of my stories.
You can access the site by clicking here. You’ll see the same excerpts I’ve included below; their purpose on this page is to (perhaps) arouse your interest.  
Having a place for these stories to exist in some form is taking care of “unfinished business.” And, of course, they exist solely to be read.

The Perfect Daiquiri
It was at this point that I started thinking about finding Boy. The idea both attracted and scared me. Scared me because I was afraid that I’d find a confirmation of all my worst fears about what life does to us. But, I’d think, maybe it doesn’t have to be that way; maybe Boy had landed on his feet from the great fall he’d had.

McGinty
Not that the library wasn’t concerned about the man; they were. He was part of the general derelict problem, though a special case because of his size and apparent madness. What the others cared most deeply about was not his choice of novels, but where they would be on the day when he would run amok.

The Fall
I gave little thought to Walter’s accident immediately after it happened — it was later events that would lead me to reconsider it, recreate it in my mind. And under this careful examination each element, even the hot night, took on a purposefulness in my mind, moving Walter inexorably toward his fall; all seemed to have a role in an intricate causality, like some clockwork mechanism.

Father Figure
Brandon came often in the next months. He told Mother that he had stayed away so long, for over a year, because he had never liked to be around that silent, sneaky-eyed bastard she was married to. Maybe so, but I also think we were a phase he went through. We were his fiefdom; at this point in our lives he would arrive to the jubilant trumpet of our need.

Dumb Bunny
If Earl were to have a taste of hell, it would have to be me who gave it to him. Which kind of made me the devil. You’d think it would bother me, to say it like that, but it didn’t. At least the devil had power.

A Change of Season
He gazed out the window, past the figures gathered on the playing field, and contemplated writing a book. In it he would describe the internal workings of a renaissance. Surely his position, at the epicenter of the upheaval that had transformed this town, gave him a unique perspective. All change, he knew, had radiated out from the window display fifteen feet from where his suede loafers rested on a carpet patterned in sedate blocks of blue and gray.

The Legacy
The town, in its pride and shame, could turn its back on Edmund Glass, but, standing beside him, Spencer had to feel sympathy for this fifty-three-year-old man, twice married and twice divorced, never before a father. This man who had bestowed his name, and all his considerable wealth, on this little mulatto bastard.

The Vigil
As Vigilante I had been granted a Godlike power. I understood what my role was: To uphold the moral underpinnings of society. A Godlike power gave one a Godlike perspective. My only worry was whether I’d know when the time came for thunderbolts.

Among Thieves
At least Sandra got to die in our home, before it was sold and everything in it was auctioned off — we got hit with heavy fines. Still, let me say this, because she would want it said: We were a team. In a way we complemented something in each other. Maybe it was for the worse — we moved each other on the same path. But I regret nothing.

The Man Who Looked Like Perry Smith
“You know what the book was. I took it home and got to the page where Perry is first described, and after that my whole world concentrated on one person, on Perry Smith. He was me, I was him. I could understand him in a way others couldn’t. Like where he says how it is with us, how one hurt gets piled on top of another til somebody else has to take on some of the load. Which is what happened when he found himself in the Clutter house. It was those four people who took on a good part of his hurt.”

I Ask You
To tell you this story I have to go back more than forty years, to when I was a wife and mother. The marriage was never a bed of roses, but who gets that? My husband was a good enough man, he provided. He made a mistake that hurt the three of us, and maybe that’s where a lot of the blame belongs, and not all on me. You can decide.

No comments: